My #1 piece of home organizing advice
Are you ready? It's very simple. Here it is:
KEEP THE THING IN THE PLACE WHERE YOU USE THE THING.
Here are some examples:
- Get dressed in your bedroom? Keep your clothes in there!
- Put your shoes and coat on only before walking out the door? Keep them next to the door you use the most!
- Make coffee in the mornings? Keep the coffee and the mugs near the coffee pot!
- Kids do extracurriculars like swimming or soccer? Keep their gear in a bag near the door so you--better yet, THEY!--can grab it and go!
- Stir things on your stove? Keep the utensils in a container near the stove!
- Have a dishwasher and ever empty it? Keep your dishes in a nearby cupboard!
- Cook? Keep your staples handy--even better, sort them by type (e.g., spices, baking, canned goods)
- Like to snuggle up on the couch and read books? Keep the books near the couch!
Follow this advice and you will find that everything suddenly is very convenient.